Twitter Updates 2.2: FeedWitter

Monday, March 17, 2014

Red by Alison Cherry

Release Date: October 8th, 2013

Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Author Info: Goodreads, Website, Twitter

Age Group: Young Adult

Pages: 320 pages

Buy it Here: Amazon

Our Rating: 5 stars


Felicity St. John has it all—loyal best friends, a hot guy, and artistic talent. And she’s right on track to win the Miss Scarlet pageant. Her perfect life is possible because of just one thing: her long, wavy, coppery red hair.

Having red hair is all that matters in Scarletville. Redheads hold all the power—and everybody knows it. That’s why Felicity is scared down to her roots when she receives an anonymous note:

I know your secret.

Because Felicity is a big fake. Her hair color comes straight out of a bottle. And if anyone discovered the truth, she’d be a social outcast faster than she could say "strawberry blond." Her mother would disown her, her friends would shun her, and her boyfriend would dump her. And forget about winning that pageant crown and the prize money that comes with it—money that would allow her to fulfill her dream of going to art school.

Felicity isn’t about to let someone blackmail her life away. But just how far is she willing to go to protect her red cred?


I was drawn to this book because of the cover but I got so busy that it has been sitting on my TBR pile for way too long. I have actually dyed my hair the same color as the main girl on the cover & I LOVED being a redhead!

When I first started the book I wasn't sure I would like it & I will admit it took me a little bit to get into it, but once I did I was hooked! The concept for the book was different than anything I've ever read & I really love how Cherry took the time to integrate such important topics such as discrimination & prejudice. 

As for the characters, there were several that I loved & a lot that I didn't...I thought that Cherry wrote Felicity very well. She started out just like the majority, clearly seeing being a red head as being superior. She didn't even have any non-redhead friends! But as she was blackmailed you see her character start to change & see her start to realize how live in the town really is for non-redheads. In the end she finally decides to be herself, regardless of the consequences. In regards to her two best friends, Haylie & Ivy, my opinions of the two couldn't be more different. I loved Ivy, she was down to earth & there for her friend through it all, even after Felicity's surprising announcement. Haylie on the other hand is a terrible friend & she abandons Felicity when she really needs her the most. I feel like she was shallow, superficial, & showcased everything that was wrong with the town. 

Gabby, Felicity's blackmailer, may have had good intentions about the message she was trying to get out to the town (which she couldn't do herself since she was a brunette). However the fact that she was destroying Felicity's live, when Felicity had never done anything to her, really made me angry. The only character I disliked more than Gabby was Felicity's own mother. The woman didn't care at all what her daughter actually wanted. She spent Felicity's entire life pushing her agenda on her & making her feel guilty any time she wanted to deviate from the plan. As a mother myself, this type of parenting makes me crazy. 

All in all, I really enjoyed this book & found it easy to become hooked on the storyline. I found myself going through a range of emotions while reading, which I love! I would definitely recommend it!  

*By the Book Reviews received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. We were in no way compensated for featuring it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment