Twitter Updates 2.2: FeedWitter

Thursday, April 10, 2014

One Second After by William R. Forstchen

Release Date: March 17th, 2009

Publisher: Forge Books

Author Info: Goodreads & Website

Age Group: Adult

Pages: 352 pages

Buy it Here: Amazon 

Our Rating: 5 stars


New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP).  A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.
 
Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end.
 
I loved absolutely everything about this storyline. All of the characters were great & I love how everyone sort of had their role. I loved John & how he seemed to really know what needed to be done & the best way to do it. I was irritated with him in the beginning when he took the time to stock up on cigarettes but didn't think about food or other supplies they might need. I loved the speech he gave before the execution of the two men who had stolen medicine from the nursing home. A lot of what he said was really inspiring and I feel like on several occasions he kept the entire town from becoming blood thirsty & losing their humanity. There were several times in the book where I did not like the other town leaders but each of them had a least one moment that made it impossible to hate them. 
 
Although I loved everything about the storyline & I loved how well thought out the book was there were a few things that I wasn't crazy about. I wasn't a huge fan of the way that Forstchen wrote. I thought some of the dialogue was written in a manor that could easily confuse the reader if they weren't paying enough attention. I also thought that there were a few instances where he switched tenses for no apparent reason. However the story is so good that it is really easy to look past any writing issues! I would absolutely recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment