Twitter Updates 2.2: FeedWitter

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Blog Tour Review & Interview: Just Like the Movies by Kelly Fiore

Release Date: July 22nd, 2014

Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers 

Author Info:  Goodreads, Twitter, Website

Age Group: Young Adult

Pages: 300 pages

But it Here: Amazon

Our Rating: 5 stars

Pretty and popular track star Marijke Monti is confident about almost everything – she’s got great friends, a great family, and she’s on her way to the State Track Championship. In fact, the only thing Marijke isn’t confident about is her relationship with Tommy Lawson.

Lily Spencer has spent her entire high school career preparing for the future – she’s participated in every extracurricular activity and volunteer committee she could. But, at home, she watches her mother go on date after date with dud-dudes, still searching for “the one.” Lily realizes that she’s about to graduate and still hasn’t even had a boyfriend.

While they live on each other’s periphery at school, Lily and Marijke never seemed to have much in common; but, after a coincidental meeting at the movie theater, Lily gets an idea – why can’t life be like a movie? Why can’t they set up their perfect romantic situations, just in time for their senior prom, using movie techniques?

Once the girls come up with the perfect plans, they commit themselves to being secret cohorts and, just like in the movies, drama ensues.
 


Love, Love, LOVE this book! Super cute, Lily & Marijke were impossible not to love. The story was told by both girls, in alternating chapters. There are so many great things about this book that I think any girl will love! I kept going back and forth, trying to decide which girl I liked more & in the end I still am not sure if I can pick one! This book was exactly what I needed on a hot summer day! 

 Interview with Kelly Fiore 

When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
KF: I think that depends on what“writer”means. If you mean professionally, I don't think I really even knew I could do that – that I could be a full time writer – until about 2008 or so. It never occurred to me that I'd find a niche where my writing fit into a place that people would want to read it. But I've always been a “writer” in the sense that I've always been writing. I wrote stories in elementary school and a play in high school. I've written poetry since I could write at all and I even have a Master's degree in it (which, as you can imagine, doesn't have a whole lot of use.)
That's the thing about writing – if you want to do it and you do it, you're a writer. It's just what you do with that writing that defines you as an author or a poet or an artist.

What inspired you to write Just Like the Movies?
KF: I was a really dramatic teenager. I'd watch movies like Reality Bites or Clueless and see how the best friends would fall in love or next door neighbors would fall in love and I WANTED THAT. I would look at my guy friends and wonder, “Ooh, are they secretly in love with me?” (They were not, sadly.)But that girl I was believed whole-heartedly in movie love, and I know I wasn't the only teen out there who thought that the movies had something – that if we had the same strategies and big romantic gestures to fall back on, that we could get that same love story to happen in our worlds. 

Were there specific songs or a playlist you listened to when writing Just Like the Movies?
KF: No, interestingly, this is the first book I don't have a playlist for because I watched movies most of the time I was writing it. And I didn't use half of them in the book – they didn't all have a rational fit and, honestly, they didn't all make sense. But the movies I watched (and some are in the book) are:
Something Borrowed
All the Step Up movies
Center Stage
A Walk to Remember
The Notebook
Clueless
Easy A
French Kiss
The Vow
Dirty Dancing
Mean Girls
Twilight (x4)
He's Just Not That Into You
Just Go With It
50 First Dates
Pretty In Pink
Footloose
10 Things I Hate About You
(There were more, but this is going to take up a lot of space…)

What book (or books) can you read over and over again?
KF: Dracula by Bram Stoker and The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster are my two favorite books ever – I've read both of them dozens of times.

If you could become a character in any book, who would it be and why?
KF: This is hard. I'm not sure I would become a character in a book.
 
What are you currently working on?
KF: Oh, I'm always working on something. I've finished a New Adult manuscript that's with my agent. I'm waiting for edits on The People vs. Cecelia Price, my first book with HarperTeen. And there are always some ideas brewing in the background.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment